Monday, September 30, 2019

End of Year Four

The Retreat celebrates the conclusion of its fourth year today. Looking back at the start of this year, I can say that--even after being hospitalized, losing part of a leg, and being in rehab for a total of four months--I managed to do the one big thing I wanted to do this year: make the shift to pro author.

It's not been easy; my expectations going in were modest at best and those expectations were met. It's going to be a while before I reach Brian Niemeier's level of success, nevermind Jon del Arozz, Nick Cole, or that juggernaught that is The Mountain That Writes. However, it's also not a rat-war over scraps; there is enough for everyone here, and my Galactic Christendom book debut managed to kick off a wave of (as Brian put it) muscular pulp fiction unashamed of the West's foundation in Christianity- unashamed of being Christendom. I didn't set out to create what is now called, thanks to Razorfist, "Cruci-Fiction", but a win is a win and I'll take it gladly.

I will take the time here to thank Oliver Campbell and the Metro City Boys crew for literally riding to my side when I got hospitalized. First calling me while I was still in the hospital proper recovering from surgery, and then showing up in person while I was in rehab before I got my prosthetic leg, was the morale booster I needed. When folks who've known me for 15-20 years ghosted me, that hurt. Oliver and the boys, folks I've known since #Gamergate, actually showed up. They're real friends, and I am grateful to all of them for their support, even when I tease them.

I will also take the time to thank my fellows in the #PulpRev, who also showed up once I got back online and put the word out. Brian's been a great friend and mentor. Rawle's been a good collaborator. The Geek Gab crew has continued to be wonderful in their support, and the Superversive folks likewise. Jon del Arozz has been nothing but kind and supportive. I am grateful to all of you for being there when I needed it. Thanks, my friends and colleagues, one and all.

It hasn't gone entirely to plan, but I did get Star Knight off the ground this year. It will not end here. Tomorrow I'll lay out what I want to do over the next year of the Retreat. There's more Star Knight to come, so spread the word now by getting paperbacks into the hands of people who'd like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.