Thursday, August 2, 2018

A Student Group In Japan Makes Anime: "Kūchū Gunkan Atlantis"

Anime News Network reported on the 31st that a student group in Japan crowdfunded an original work, a science fiction adventure named Kūchū Gunkan Atlantis (Aerial Battleship Atlantis). You can find the project page here, should you wish to go to the effort of contributing to it.

If the project still seeks funding, and if you can spare it, give those kids a hand. They are earning it.

I now address the group directly.

Dear Students of the "Gekigadan" Group:

I am--as the recent posts on this blog make clear--not only a fan of science fiction featuring mecha, but now an author of the same. I too have an active crowdfunding campaign going as of this post: The Star Knight Saga, one that I launched to help me create an original work inspired by the many works of science fiction I've enjoyed over my lifetime.

In addition to classic Western works such as A Princess of Mars, Galactic Patrol and Star Wars I've taken inspiration from many classic anime series. Mobile Suit Gundam, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Aura Battler Dunbine, Mazinger Z, and others are all part of the pool of inspiration I drew from in creating Star Knight. I would be a liar if I did not confess to the hope of seeing my novels adapted into anime films or TV series, a thing that I'd not held out much hope for until I saw your trailer.

I understand that, as a student group, you are not able to produce at the speed of the established studios. I am not concerned about that at this time. I am concerned only in seeing that you and your team of talented youths be grated the opportunity to collaborate with the very best authors producing quality material to adapt into quality anime, wherever we may be. Though it may seem unorthodox for you at this time, I am already convinced that you have the talent necessary create works of everlasting beauty, quality, and lasting influence like those I mentioned above.

My peers and I here in the West would welcome the opportunities to work with you in the future, some sooner than others, as we are also creating not only mecha science fiction but plenty of other fantastic literature that would be ideal for adaptation into animated film or television. If you are willing and able to reach across the Pacific to us, we would be glad to welcome you as our colleagues.

I can be reached privately at the email address in the Contact tab above, or publicly in the Comments section below, and I hope that you seize this opportunity to open a mutually-beneficial relationship with us.

Sincerely,
--Bradford C. Walker


For more original science fiction with that distinct aesthetic, look out for Combat Frame XSeed coming soon from Dragon Award winner and nominee Brian Niemeier. To help me make the Star Knight Saga happen, support my Indiegogo campaign here. We're at 75% to the initial goal, and a new--and exciting--Perk unlocks when we reach that initial goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.