Monday, April 23, 2018

The Best Story You'll Read Today: Crazy Days & Nights' New Himmm Tale

There is only one "blind gossip" blog that I follow: Crazy Days & Nights. I do so for two reasons. The first is to get (often by example) the straight dope on how Hollywood and the culture industry really works. (It's not good; keep your kids out of it.) The second is to read heretofore untold stories of those in that madhouse making things happen. This is in the latter column, as it's the story about how a film beloved by Generation X--one that cost the star's life--got made.

And as I write this post, I'm remembering my own experience with this film. I know no one who had anything to do with this film, and I can't say that I'm surprised that the actual events behind the scenes turned out as they did; the now-infamous death came about for a lot of the same reasons that other on-set fatalities do, so this is a case of hubris exacting preventable consequences, leading to the star's downright Greek Tragedy of a fate.

I don't need a copy of this film. I remember it. All of it. Soundtrack and all. It came to me at a time when, unknown to me at the time, I'd had my own youthful-illusions-got-shattered episode, and I felt the same sort of disorientation. Someday I'll tell my own story of how and why this film matters to me--such that I, like those who made the film, don't ever want it remade--but for now I'll just direct you to Himmmm and let you read for yourself his tale of youthful dreams, ambitions, and love all shattered by hubris. Stranger Things Have Happened.

"It can't rain all the time." No, it can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.