Wednesday, July 6, 2016

My Life as a Gamer: After the 2016 Steam Summer Sale

As I said over the weekend, I did manage to get in some buys before the sale ended. With my aging laptop specs in mind, I still managed to knock my wishlist down by a third and not go past $20 spent. I focused on series titles that I did not have, avoided anything where I couldn't do fine with keyboard & mouse, and avoided anything I'd seen played to my satisfaction to date. Most of what I bought were single-player titles.

The reason? Simple: alternatives to World of Warcraft, and secondarily to anything that requires a connection to use at all. I think the most recent game I bought was The Witcher 2. Should I decline to buy into Legion right away, this will be my way of playing until I either buy in or exhaust what I've got in my Library.

So, what did I get? Fair enough:

  • The Witcher
  • The Witcher 2
  • Dungeon Siege
  • Torchlight
  • Chronicles of Mystara
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

I already had Torchlight 2, as well as Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. Dungeon Siege I picked up because I played it years ago and wanted another go, as was the case with the two games making up Chronicles of Mystara. (I do love side-scrolling brawlers.) A few others I wanted to get exceeded my budget after getting these, and I expect another major sale before too long. I'm fond of the Sniper Elite series, so I hope to snag the first three soon as I wait for Sniper Elite 4, and I want to scratch my warrior fantasy itch while I wait on For Honor (and hope it doesn't blow goats). In terms of console games, all I really way is Dragon's Crown for my PS3.

Not bad this time around, and that should keep me entertained through the end of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.