Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Life in Fandom: I Am a Star Wars Fan, Like My Father Before Me

I've been a Star Wars fan since I was a child. My father took me to see the original film in the theater during a midday matinee at the Terrace in Robbinsdale, and I'd been a faithful fan ever since. Nevermind "Generation X", I'm Generation Star Wars (Original Trilogy). All that merch in the late '70s and early '80s? Guess who was part of that target audience? Yours truly.

Yes, I was excited for The Phantom Menace, and I realized a lot of long-held wishes with that film as well as Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith despite their flaws. (And if you think the Original Trilogy isn't flawed, either you're not paying attention or you're a child.) So of course I'm excited for The Force Awakens. Here, let me embed the official trailer so you can watch it yet again:


But, aside from hoping that I get something even better than the existing films, I have hope that this new trilogy (and the upcoming stand-alone films) reignites something else near and dear to me: playing in Star Wars tabletop RPG campaigns.

I've tried the d20 System games. I know that the official license is with Fantasy Flight Games right now, and they're doing something interesting with their games, but I remain loyal to the original d6 System. With some changes to accommodate the current canon, especially as it regards The Force and its powers, you have a game far superior to the later versions all around.

(And there's the various video games, which I'll talk about at length another time.)

So, while I await the release of The Force Awakens, I remain hopeful that J.J. Abrams will deliver and therefore says only this:

May the Force Be With You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.