Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve Reflections for 2018

The older I get, the more I appreciate the spirit of the season for what it is.

My household gets together on Christmas Eve for dinner and the exchange of presents. When I was a child I wanted to race through dinner to get to the presents. Now, not so much; I don't see my sister that often anymore, so family meals mean more now. My father is long gone, so it's just my mother and my sister now for immediate family. That time becomes less of a bother and more of an event as time goes on; the presents are becoming a side show.

Not that we didn't do well. My folks are at a point where gift cards are desirable, and they do watch my Wish List at Amazon. (The first three Elric BDs and Hoaxed in paperback.) The rest was enough new clothes to prompt a wardrobe flush, which will occur over the coming weeks as I am able.

But the heart of the season is the birth of new hope, and at this time of year that's what's happening without realizing it. We're refreshing that hope, and the joy that comes with it, so that we go into the new year ready to face what awaits. Merry Christmas, folk, and a happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.