Saturday, November 17, 2018

Rediscovering The Classics: Arion (1986)

Thanks to a Twitter thread today, I found out about this '80s anime film.

The Infogalactic entry summarizes it so:

The story follows Arion, a young man kidnapped by Hades as a child and raised to believe that his mother was blinded by Zeus and that killing the ruler of Mount Olympus will cure her.

And it's immediately going on the To Watch list.

One of my regulars on Twitter mentioned that it seems to have a Leigh Brackett vibe, so we'll see when I get around to watching it. I'll eschew the YouTube uploads due to the mangling those accounts did to dodge the algorithm in favor of one of my usual gray sites, as the English-subtitled film is out there; finding the manga it stems from is another matter.

I am not surprised that this slipped past my radar. No one I knew back in the day was into this sort of thing; we wanted our giant robots. I wasn't deep into the tape-trading networks, so I wouldn't have seen it that way. I never noticed this title in any of the catalogs of the emerging legit outlets, or on the shelves at the places where you could get legit anime, so that's why I hadn't heard of this film until now; you can't notice what you're not aware of, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.