Monday, May 22, 2017

My Life in Fandom: Space Battleship Yamato 2202

I've posted previously on the Space Opera goodiness that is the remake of Space Battleship Yamato. The 2199 series is one of my recommendations for anyone who has no problem with the grey streaming sites that a lot of anime fans resort to (because the Blu-Rays are expensive as fuck).

As the pick on the right shows, the follow-up I knew was coming finally arrived in Japan a few months ago. 2202 is the remake's remake of the second series, the Comet Empire arc, and so far it looks like the faithful approach is still in effect; I've only see two episodes as of this post (because they're being parceled out piecemeal as with 2199).

(Note, if you want to enhance the experience, watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark first. That movie's events foreshadow the Gatlantis ascension to Antagonist and Gamillas's Heel-Face Turn that occurs as a consequence of 2199's conclusion.)

Because this is an ongoing release, and only two episodes are currently available (these are often wrongly labeled as OVAs; they're not, as this is a TV series), I can't go on about the brilliance of the series as a whole. What I can say is that, in just two episodes, I am back aboard the hype ship and I can't wait to see (a) how this series plays out and (b) to see it adapted into a future Super Robot Wars title.

One of the giants of Japanese Space Opera is off once more into outer space to save Mother Earth. Get on board now and enjoy the voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are banned. Pick a name, and "Unknown" (et. al.) doesn't count.